The environmental assessment for the Light Rail / GreenWay project has been released by Transport NSW. There is a lot of material to get through but first impressions are that it is a mix of good and bad news.
The construction of the GreenWay trail and road crossings is welcome but there seems to be shortcomings on the bushcare / habitat side and the cycling links at either end of the trail. There is also one road crossing (Marion St) that will not be an underpass or overpass.
We will give a detailed rundown on the EA at the Friends AGM. Submissions can be made up to 15 November. This will be our last major chance to influence the final outcome for the GreenWay so please let your views be known by making a submission.
Information sessions are being held:
- Saturday 23 October, 11am 2pm – Dulwich Hill Public School, Kintore Street, Dulwich Hill
- Monday 25 October, 5pm 8pm – Haberfield Centre, Michael Maher Room, 78 Dalhousie Street, Haberfield
- Saturday 30 October, 11am 2pm Leichhardt Town Hall Corner, Marion & Norton Streets, Leichhardt
The Friends of the GreenWay are joining with IWEG to host a joint stall at the Summer Hill Food Bazaar on Sunday 17th October. Please drop by and say hello if you are in the area, and find out the latest news on the GreenWay.
We also need a few extra volunteers to help out on the day so if you would like to help staff the stall, please e-mail Greg or use our contact form.
- Want to get the latest on the plans for the GreenWay and the light rail?
- Like to find out how you can help to make the GreenWay even better?
- Want to find out what the committee has been up to?
Well come along to the Friends meeting on Saturday 23 October.
Full details are:
Saturday 23 October, 3 – 5 pm
Summer Hill Community Centre
131 Smith St Summer Hill (a few doors down from SHARE where we have had previous meetings)
The meeting agenda will roughly be:
* a rundown on what the committee has been doing to lobby for the GreenWay
* the latest plans for the incorporation of the GreenWay into thelight rail extension
* a chance for you to ask questions or make comments
* details on what members can do to help the GreenWay
* the Friends AGM
The AGM will be brief and will consist of a financial report, an election for committee members and a vote on the attached special resolution. The resolution is to allow us flexibility in setting annual membership fees. Due to the current state of our finances we are proposing to waive membership fees for the coming year.
If you would like to nominate for the committee or one of the committee positions (Convenor, Secretary or Treasurer) could you reply to this e-mail no later than 7 days before the meeting.
The inaugral GreenWay Festival will be held from 10 – 17 October to highlight the GreenWay and community groups. A series of events such as walking and cycling tours, eco workshops, bushcare working bees and an art exhibition will be held. Full details can be found on www.greenway.org.au